February 8, 2007

Rachael Ray - Who died and made you Oprah?


Being sick sucks. I've been feeling sous-les-temps for the better part of a week, and it sucks. I've been drudging through the majority of my classes, skipping those I find less worthy, and spending the rest of the day how I please. Having little energy, "how I please" usually involves food and television. Any combination of food and television usually involves Rachael Ray in some capacity.

I love Rachael Ray. Every day, this woman makes an indelible impression on the legacy of cooking shows, and food in general - I myself own several of her cookbooks. I have yet to use them, but I own them and that is what counts. Rachael Ray has made cooking fashionable, and that is always a good thing. Who doesn't love a delicious and easy 30-minute meal?

Lately, Ms. Ray has gone a bit overboard. Rach launched The Rachael Ray Show, an Oprah-like show where Rachael interviews celebrities and discusses weighty issues (Mena Suvari and teenage plastic surgery on the episode I witnessed) and follows up with a quick and easy 15-minute-meal. What reason does she have to do this? I was satisfied having Rachael teach me how to cook quickly and eat on a budget. It seems now that I have to deal with her doling out life advice as well.

This is Rachael's world. We just live in it.

2 comments:

Andy said...

wow. joe is in love with rachel ray. i'm pretty sure he'd leave me for her, but i do like her as well. so i guess joe, her and i would be good friends. even if the bitch stole my man. anyway, i digress. i read angry amazon reviews on one of her cookbooks once, because peole said the 30 minute meals actually took longer. that kind of made me laugh.

but i second the opera-weirdness motion. cooking was enough.. i can do without the interviews.

Andy said...

ya, that was sort of the point of posting. then i realized that only 3 people would see it, none of them being from OCU housing.. heh.